We all start our days with the best intentions. We’ll get up, go about our morning routine, and when we sit down at our desk to get busy, we’ll be super focused, full of energy, and raring to go.
Sure, some days actually happen that way. But most days? It’s a different story.
It can be so hard to stay focused throughout the workday. There are so many things vying for our attention all the time: clients, partners, co-workers, even kids, spouses, and pets. These things can make it nearly impossible to concentrate on the important tasks at hand.
But thankfully, there are some tried and true ways to help us be productive, and today I’m sharing 5 ways to stay focused throughout the workday.
- Identify your Top 3. These are the 3 things that no matter what else happens today, must get done. I’ve found that when I jot these 3 things at the top of my to-do list, it helps me to keep them at the forefront of my thoughts all day long. And man, does it feel great when I’ve finally crossed all 3 off that day’s list.
- Eat that frog. I’ve found that if there’s something I’m avoiding – like a particularly tough task or a phone call that I don’t want to make – it’s really difficult for me to concentrate on the other things I need to do. That’s why I strongly recommend that you “eat that frog” first thing every day. Do the hardest thing first, and your day can only get better from there.
- Get rid of distractions. What keeps you from really focusing on the task at hand? Is it email notifications popping up in the corner of your computer screen? Maybe it’s a ringing phone or text messages from friends and family. For me, it can be as simple as a cluttered desk. Get rid of the things that are distracting you to give yourself the freedom to concentrate on your work.
- Take a break. When I’m unable to really focus on the issue in front of me, I’ve found that getting away from my desk can really help. Step outside to get some fresh air, make yourself a drink or a snack, even run a quick errand. Sometimes just a few minutes away from work is exactly what it takes to hit the reset button and get you back to a place of clarity and focus.
- Don’t forget to eat. This isn’t the same as taking a break. Yes, that’s important but even more important is fueling your body and your mind by eating right. Don’t work through lunch, because this doesn’t help you get more accomplished. In fact, skipping lunch might be part of the reason why you’re not as productive as you’d like to be. Take 30 minutes away from your desk to eat a healthy meal and then get back to work.
Do you have any tips that help you stay focused throughout the workday? I’d love for you to share them in a comment below!
If you liked this post, take a look at these!
Latest posts by Christina Berry (see all)
- 5 Tips to Prepare for Being Away From the Office - March 6, 2017
- 6 Things to Do at Night to Ensure a Successful Morning - February 27, 2017
- 3 Reasons to Partner With a Virtual Assistant in 2017 - February 20, 2017