The key to being productive, if you ask me, is organization. No matter how crazy, stressful my day gets, if I stop what I’m doing and spend a few minutes putting my world in order, I’m almost immediately in a better frame of mind and ready to get back to work.
A neat and tidy desk is one of the most important tools for productivity. Look at your workspace right now. Is it set up to make you as efficient as possible? If not, try these 5 tips to organize your desk and get yourself back on track.
- Remove everything from your desk top so that you’re starting with a clean slate. While there’s nothing on it, go ahead and clean it with a little Pledge or whatever’s appropriate. Now you’ve got a fresh, blank canvas to work with.
- As you start putting things back on the desk, SIMPLIFY. Think about the things you truly need to do your job. A pencil cup filled with 50 pens is not a necessity. The photos and personal mementos aren’t required. Your desk top should include only those things that are going to help you get the job done. Find another home for everything else.
- Lose the sticky notes. A better way to keep track of your ideas, messages, etc., is a pretty spiral-bound notebook. I start with a fresh page each day, writing the date at the top of the page, and adding notes throughout my workday. If I need to refer back to something later, it’s much easier to find in my notebook than on 100 sticky notes and messages written on the backs of envelopes and scraps of paper.
- Keep your cords tidy. It’s amazing how much neater and more organized your desk looks when the cords are neatly bundled together and tucked away, out of sight.
- When you’re working, organize as you go. After you use something, put it away. Don’t let clutter pile up.
And here’s a bonus tip: at the end of your work day, prepare your desk for tomorrow by putting everything in order today. You’ll be more prepared to dive into work if your space is ready to go in the morning.
What other ideas do YOU have for organizing your desk and keeping it organized? Let’s chat about them in comments below!
If you liked this post, take a look at these!
Latest posts by Christina Berry (see all)
- 5 Must-Have iPhone Apps for Bloggers and Small Business Owners - April 14, 2017
- 5 Tips to Prepare for Being Away From the Office - March 6, 2017
- 6 Things to Do at Night to Ensure a Successful Morning - February 27, 2017