Gotta be honest. I’m completely dumbfounded when I hear from bloggers and small business owners who aren’t working to build their email list.
“I don’t want to send a newsletter, so why do I need an email list?” or “If I decide later that I want build my email list, I’ll do it then.”
And the ever popular “I’ve got more than enough to do already, without adding another task to my to-do list.”
I get it. You’re busy. We’re all busy. But seriously, if you are not actively working to grow your list of email subscribers – even if you have no immediate intention of doing a newsletter – you’re missing out on a huge opportunity for your blog or business.
Why do I say that? Well, here are just 3 reasons to build your email list now.
- An email list is the simplest way to stay connected to your followers. Because most of us check our email every day (or in some cases, many times a day), an email is the simplest way to share important news about your blog or business. It’s just not wise to rely on social media networks to deliver your big news and important announcements, because there’s no guarantee your followers will even be online when you post it.
- You control your email list. As I’ve mentioned before, you control your email list and quite honestly, aside from your blog or website, it’s the only thing you control. You have zero control over Facebook and how often or to how many of your followers it shows your posts. You don’t control Instagram or Twitter or Pinterest. Even if you’ve amassed a huge following on one (or all) of these social media networks, those followers could all disappear in a flash if the site were to close down or change the method it uses to deliver content to your followers. Is that really a chance you want to take, when building an email list is so simple?
- Email subscribers are typically very loyal. We’re talking about people who trust you enough to hand over their email address to you. They like you. They’re interested in what you have to say. They’re willing to let you into their inbox. If you sell (or ever decide to sell) a product or service, email subscribers are more likely to buy than those nameless, faceless people who follow you on Facebook or Twitter. Email subscribers feel connected to you in a way that other followers don’t, and who among us doesn’t want that? An email list is a loyal fan base that every blog or business should have.
Many experts believe that bloggers and small businesses should be building their email list even before they publish a single post on their website. Simply add a sign-up form to your site and give your website visitors a reason to subscribe by offering an incentive like a free printable that they’ll love using.
Do you have an email list for your blog or business? Are you actively working to build it? Why or why not?
If you liked this post, take a look at these!
Latest posts by Christina Berry (see all)
- 5 Ways to Create Strong Passwords - July 9, 2017
- 8 Ways to Build Your Personal Brand - June 21, 2017
- 5 Tips for a Great Staycation (Even When You Work from Home) - June 13, 2017